Hope it never happens to you…For an information intense Packet on Fire Preparedness-The National Firewise Communities Program provides wildland/Urban interface resources for Firefighter safety, Community Planning, Landscaping, Construction, and maintenance to protect people, their pets, their property-and natural resources from Wildfire. More information is available from the firewise website at: www.firewise.org A helpful checklist, and good place to start:
1) Home ignition Zone-Begin with at least 30 ft of space immediately around the home and extending out as far as 100-200 feet.
2) Lean, Clean, and Green landscaping-With firewise landscaping, you can create a survivable space around your home that reduces the threat significantly.
3) Fire-resistant roof construction-self explantory.
4) Fire resistant attachments-include any structure connected to your home, suck as decks, porches, or fences. If they are attached and are not fire resistant, then the home as a whole is vulnerable to ignition.ood w/legible & clearly marked
5) Fire-resistant construction-Wall materials that resist heat and flames include brick, cement, plaster, stucco, and concrete masonry. Tempered and double-pane glass windows can make a home more resistant to wildfire and flames. Why? Firebrands (embers) collect in small nooks and crannies and ignite combustible materials…
6) A disaster Plan-The time to plan for any emergency is prior to the event. Discuss this with your family, and have emergency numbers close by-and in a visible place. Leave before it is too late. Decide where you will go, and how you will get there. Have tools available, such as a shovel, rake, axe, handsaw, or a chainsaw. Maintain an emergency water source too. Have plans for your pets, practice family fire drills.
7) Emergency Access-Identify your home and N’hood w/clearly marked streets and names and numbers. Your driveway should be at least 13 feet wide, with a verticle clearance of 15 feet and a slope no more than 5 percent for emergency vehicles…
I look forward to the possibility od assisting you in your quest!